Wednesday, June 3, 2009

so this is love...

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!

Thank you Emilee for having us read this book, I absoutely loved it. I laughed out loud about Isola, cried over Elizabeth, and fell in love a little with Dawsey. This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. I really enjoyed the unique perspective about WWII, I had no idea about the occupation of the channel islands.

My mom actually went to hear the author speak at a book store in CA and sent me an autographed copy. She told me how there was a lot of research that went into this book and how many of the stories are based on ones the original author had heard in Guernsey. I was touched by how the niece took over the final editing and rewriting for her aunt...how I wish the aunt would have lived to see the remarkable success of her only novel.

Truly, this book was a joy to read.

Ok, some food for thought...

Was anyone else shocked to learn about Sidney? I kinda thought he would end up with Juliet. Personally I am a big fan of the Dawsey romance, but I wish there was a sequel so we could see how they grow together.

What was the purpose of Remy as a character?
- At first I thought it was to embody the tragedy of the war and the camps, but I am beginning to think it is more about moving forward without forgetting. I sensed the theme that moving on doesn't mean forgetting the past, and Remy is a good example of that. Her story was tragic, and yet inspiring. I'm glad that she gave us a better glimpse of Elizabeth and also that she was able to eventually return to France and pursue her goals.

Did anyone have a favorite character? (besides Elizabeth and Juliet)
I really loved Isola. Her letters and observations and her "unique" talents/ideas were such a fun addition to the book. I also have a soft spot in my heart for Sidney. What a great friend he is to Juliet and to the people he meets in Guernsey.

Ok enough questions. If anyone has not bought this book, go and do it now. Seriously. It really is that good. I will read it multiple times over my life and continue to be inspired each and every time I'm sure.

p.s. did you guys see the contest in the back of the book? a book club can win a free trip (all expenses paid) to guernsey :)

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I have to agree with all the comments posted. I LOVED THIS BOOK. It took me a letter or two to get into the flow but than I was hooked. I loved teh character develop and the small surprises such as Sydney and falling in love with Dewsey. This was a great book. Too bad there is not a sequel. So who's turn is it next??