Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Shadow of the Wind

Wow! What a remarkable book! I do have to confess that this was a little more difficult to get sucked into. However, once I understood Carlos Ruiz Zafron's type of writing and the characters, I was involved. There were parts that I loved and parts that I was totally confused about. It could be due to the fact that I didn't read it in one or two sittings. I also get distracted easily. However, I found myself engrossed in its pages halfway through. At that point, I didn't want to put it down. I enjoy a book when the author gets to the point. I feel that Zafron's ending summarized everything and I loved that. He is a very intelligent author.

I enjoyed the beginning when Daniel went to the cemetery of forgotten books with his father to choose a special book. It made me realize that books are a gem and we must not take them for granted. I really liked Daniel's character. He seemed like a good kid trying to do what was right. I enjoyed most of the characters. I also enjoyed this book because it was a mystery and a passionate love story.

I don't want to give away too much on my review in case others haven't had a chance to finish the book. Overall, I enjoyed Mandy's choice and will need to read it again and again to capture all of the details. Has anyone else finished?

4 comments:

Shelli Snyder said...

I just got my copy yesterday ... I'll be finishing in the next week or so. :) I'm so glad you liked it!

Catherine said...

I too agree with Emilee's comments. I really enjoyed this book. I want to read it again so I get better understand one or two parts that I was confused about or not quite sure how the fit.

It took me a little but to get into the book but once I was hooked I wanted to do nothing else but read it. I love that feeling.

I really enjoyed the character development in this book. I fell with each of the characters and loved watching their involvement in the plot.

I hope to be able to read this book again and hopefully in one or two sittings instead of a couple pages here and couple of pages there!!!

Thanks for the suggestion Mandy!!!

Heather said...

I just got my hands on it! Sorry, had to wait awhile for my turn at the library.

Mandy said...

I finally got my copy back from my Mom and I'm more then half way through. It is amazing how much more I am catching on to the second time!! I'll post soon, it won't take me long to finish it.