Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Great Book

I really enjoyed The Only Alien on the Planet. I was a little concerned at first, because the description made it seem a lot like Twilight (teenage girl moves to new school, becomes fascinated by a beautiful, mysterious boy who is unlike anyone she has ever met). But the book is actually a bit deeper than that. There is kind of a sweet a romantic aspect to the story, but main message I took from it was the importance of true friendship. I really felt for Smitty, or the "alien" in the story. The way he evolved as a character was very cool- from being completely blank and unresponsive to being able to find his voice even in the face of his abuser made him a very intriguing character. I also found it interesting that Smitty's condition was not the result of parental abuse (like I would have suspected). Rather it is the result of emotional abuse from an older sibling, which is rarely encountered, at least in the literature I've read. This book is a good example of how even adolescent lit can be a source of wisdom. There were a couple of poignant passages that I would go back and highlight if I were to ever read it again, which I probably will. It was definitely worth the 75 cents plus shipping.

Anyone else have anything to add?

I think it's Em's turn to choose the next book . . .

No comments: