Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Apologies & Resolutions

I owe all of you an apology. I'm a flake. For various reasons - not the least of which being a difficult period of nursing - I've become a stereotypical TV-watching, magazine-reading housewife. I've neglected not only this blog group but my once-beloved books in general. So one of my New Year's resolutions is to return to reading, & Mandy just let me know it was my turn to pick the next book, which is:

Jhumpa Lahiri is an Indian-American author whose books deal a lot with the cultural & generational clashes that Indian-American families deal with. I read her newest book, a collection of short stories called Unaccustomed Earth, about those same themes, & I found that I learned a lot about the Bengali culture. This one is unique, though, in that the person whose namesake is the main character is the Russian author Gogol. I'm interested in seeing how the three cultures will affect each other.

Lastly, in an act of shameless self-promotion, I thought I would introduce you to my dear Abigail, who is thankfully long over her difficulty nursing. She's six & a half months old & growing like the cutest weed I've ever seen:



I look forward to getting back into books with all of you & Jhumpa Lahiri!

4 comments:

Shelli Snyder said...

I went to this movie when it came out a couple years ago. LOVED it. I'm excited to read the book!!

Mary said...

Thanks Catherine. That looks like an interesting book. And your daughter is adorable :)

Jaclyn said...

I know I'm getting an early start on this, but I'm up next for the February book pick. Do we read strictly fiction? What are the rules? :)

Catherine said...

I am good with any suggestions. I am fine with nonfiction.